How to convert PIO to OCI card: My experience at the Indian Embassy in Manila, Philippines

You may also like...

9 Responses

1. Anne says:

hi. i’m also a filipino married to an indian. I also have PIO as of the moment and planning to visit philippines this month. I would like to check with you, what are the documents required by Indian Embassy Manila to convert PIO to OCI?

2. Sally says:

Hi..I am a filipina married to an Indian. We got married last year in India. I am currently in Philippines and I am planning to go back India this coming Dec. May I know what are the documents required for me to get a OCI card. I’m just worried with all ths paper works. Hope you can help me. Thank you.

• admin says:

Hi, Sally. The requirements for availing of OCI card can be found on the website of the Indian Embassy of Manila and on the OCI Services webpage administered by the Indian government. I suggest you read through them to understand the procedure. One key requirement is that your marriage to an Indian national “has been registered and subsisted for a continuous period of not less than two years prior to application.” Since you mentioned that you got married last year, you’ll have to wait for your second wedding anniversary before applying. Your first step now is to report your marriage to the Philippine Embassy in New Delhi (or the nearest Philippine consulate in India where you live), if you haven’t done that already.

3. Sumayya says:

Hi im filipina married to indian also.. i applied for oci card since april of 2015 but till now i didnt got it.. only it shows under process online.. they told me i need to submit again my birth certificate attested by indian embassy in the philippines. Can i ask what really are the requirements to be submitted in order for them to approved my application,, ? Im in dubai now and i applied here in indian consulate dubai. I really need ur help,, thank you.

• admin says:

Hello, Sumayya. I have never heard of someone waiting for more than a year for their OCI card. The requirements for OCI card are listed on the Indian government website. However, the Indian Embassy/Mission has the right to request additional documents/certification from the applicant, and you are expected to comply with that. All applications are sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs in New Delhi, where they are reviewed and background checks are done. They are the ones who decide whether to grant your OCI card or not. I don’t know how I can help you except to suggest that you contact the Indian Consulate in Dubai and ask what might be holding up your application. Good luck.

4. Evelyn Mirabueno says:

Hi

I am a filipina married to an indian too and currently in possesion of a PIO.. i had obtained a new phil passport to which details were not yet endorsed on my PIO.. my question is,can i travel to india using my existing PIO ( with the details of old phil passport that has been renewed)..due to the constraint in time and urgency to go to india i will not be able to update my pio..pls advise if ok to travel as per ur knowledge..THANK YOU

• admin says:

To the best of my knowledge, you can travel to India with the PIO card on a new passport, as long as you carry/present the old passport that is linked to the PIO card.

1. June 8, 2016

[…] the CFO seminar quandary continued to hound me. On my numerous trips to the Indian Embassy in Manila to obtain an OCI card, I saw a number of Filipino-Indian couples there and often overhead them talking about the CFO […]